Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Willowbank Wildlife Reserve

On Wednesday, I went to the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve in the northern suburbs of Christchurch. The place is ideal for children, and it functions both as a wildlife preserve and a zoo. It features both wild animals and familiar barnyard animals (albeit from rare breeds). Very nice place - not much land, though, so they have to find clever ways of using all the land to wedge as many animals as possible into the space.

Lots of ducks, geese, and water birds. Various birds too, including doves and parrots. A few Asian monkeys and apes too.

When I arrived, it was eel feeding time. I asked the man scooping food from a can, "Is that dog food, or is that eel food?" He replied, "Oh, it's dog food. These customers aren't so particular."

At one point, I saw two pretty women gingerly feeding pellets to two of the loudest, and by far the ugliest, pigs that I had ever seen. (Somehow the world works like this, doesn't it?) I told one woman, "You've made a friend!"




No comments:

Post a Comment