Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Predicting Exercise Program Success

So, the main factors pointing towards exercise success are:
self-efficacy (the belief that one can perform in a specific way to succeed or meet goals),
plus:
Having access to home exercise equipment was a big predictor of starting an exercise program.
Now, I can see self-efficacy as an important motivating factor - I feel good when I (more or less) get the aerobics routine. It's important to have reasonable, achievable goals.

But I also see exercise partly as a social activity. If I felt I could do serious aerobics at home, I wouldn't do it at all - better to relax and watch something other than Denise Austin on TV. Like theater, I do aerobics specifically because I can't do it at home.

The money I spend on aerobics is probably the best-used money I spend on anything, including things like food, electricity and water. My goals are achievable and in sharp focus. And I know that, by hopping around in the company of beautiful women, if I work hard enough, I too can become a beautiful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment