Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hatin' On The Phone

A month ago, my home phone broke, and I'm just loving the peace and quiet! I'm taking my time calling in for repairs.

I hate cell phones too. Don't have one (though you never know, I might change my mind if I feel the need). Never tried texting - it might be OK.

I think what I don't like about phones are their noisy, commanding rings. "Answer me now!" they say. I like to think through my thoughts, not have them interrupted by the impertinence of others.

I hope this trait I have in common with the successful bloggers means I am a successful blogger too. So far, though, it just means I'm difficult to reach.
PHONE HOSTILITY....Lots of hating on telephones today:

Yglesias:
"I couldn't be more thrilled with the phone's decline. I used to be painfully
shy as a person, and while I've largely gotten over that IRL I still find it
incredibly stressful to talk to people on the phone."

Atrios:
"I think I enjoyed chatting with girls when I was 13 or so, but since then I've
pretty much hated the phone."

Alan Jacobs:
"This is a loathing I share, and have for a long time."

McMegan:
"Weird fact: every single (successful) blogger I know hates talking on the
phone. I'm gregarious face to face, and I'm an inveterate user of various kinds
of textual messaging, but I would rather scrub my floors with a toothbrush than
get on the phone."

No comments:

Post a Comment