Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mangling "The Eagles"

It's a pretty simple process, really:

  • Listen to a favorite pop song;
  • Get rid of any characteristic rhythms of the piece;
  • Render the song in a kind of plaintive High Plains wail;
  • Misremember the lyrics;
  • Take the song to karaoke Saturday night down at the VFW;
  • Get flummoxed by the speed at which words scroll across the screen;
  • Find solace in the laughter.
So, here is E.'s rendition of one of her favorite songs (because it has a 'West Coast' dance rhythm) - The Eagles' "Take It Easy" :

I'm running down the road, trying to loosen my load,
I've got seven women in my mind:
one that wants to stone me, one that wants to own me
and one that she says she is a friend of mine
Take it easy, take it easy,

Well, I'm standing in a corner of Winslow, Arizona
and a girl she slows down to take a look at my flat bed Ford
Take it easy, take it easy,
E.: Why are you laughing?
M: You can't have seven women in your mind - you have to have seven women on your mind.
E.: But that doesn't make any sense! It's a prepositional phrase!
M.: But it's the English idiom!
E. English! It makes no sense! But you know, oftentimes we foreigners understand and speak it better than native-born Americans! So ignorant! We work harder! You know what I mean?
M.: Yes, yes.....

Next week E.'s rendition of Dolly Patron's "Sudden Sheets" (better known as Dolly Parton's "Satin Sheets").

No comments:

Post a Comment