Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Madonna's "The Confessions Tour" DVD


San Jose concert photo by "Pera" from fansite, AllAboutMadonna.com.


I asked the pharmacist, "If I take these potash capsules to cure the potassium deficiency diagnosed my the doctor, will I feel more energetic?" He smiled, and shook his head in a silent "No!" Fair enough. So I took a capsule and waited to see what would happen.....

Boy was he wrong! It was 2 a.m., and I was wide-awake! I put Madonna's "The Confessions Tour" on the DVD player, and everyone came running to see what the fuss was all about. Even Cloudy, the paraplegic Bunny, dragged her broken body into the living room, in order to see Madonna (and maybe get some overdue massaging as well from her indulgent master).

I saw "The Confessions Tour" live last year, in San Jose. I thought it was great concert then, but it's hard in a concert setting to see all the details. With the crisp cinematography and camera close-ups of the DVD, it's altogether a different experience. What a great DVD! Is there a better rock concert DVD anywhere? For the photo work, featuring the best dancers in the business, it's in a league all of its own. Yes, it's better than Kylie's DVDs!

Of course, it's not for everyone. After a while, E. (who is also Catholic) began to get a different impression. I don't whether it was the controversial appearance of Madonna on the Cross, the egregious use of the f-word, all the hip-thrusting, or the cumulative impact of all of it, but E. ultimately compared Madonna to Kylie thusly: "Madonna's nasty; Kylie's benign." Perhaps an oversimplification, but a predictable reaction.

I was actually surprised, watching the DVD, to see that Madonna was more at ease, more spontaneous, in front of a live audience than I expected. Maybe it's the difference between the HP Pavilion in San Jose and Wembley Arena in London. Whatever it was, it further dents Camille Paglia's criticisms of a year-and-a-half ago.

In any event, Madonna is a goddess! Madonna and Kylie: twin goddesses in my corner of the universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment