Friday, June 01, 2007

Chess

As she regaled me with stories, I could tell she was distracted: she pick up her knight from one square, waved it around inconclusively, and set it down on an adjacent square. She also took her own black pawn with her own black bishop. Maybe this was my chance!

There was the story about the boy with the bad cut: his mother said it came from reaching into a vending machine, but the boy said it came from playing with a knife. Someone was lying, but who? Then there was girl who put a staple in her finger, and who screamed and screamed, until it became a school-wide crisis. Finally, the girl's mother drove up, grabbed the girl's hand, and took the staple out herself.

Sure enough, after a number of errors, I was able to eke out a victory - my first in months....

No comments:

Post a Comment