Friday, November 10, 2006

Angelic Spam, Devilish Spam

Lately, I've been getting Vietnamese art gallery spam. What a good idea! I mean, if you are getting unsolicited E-Mail, it may as well be something nice to look at....

I just got this spam E-Mail:
Show Your Devotion...Get Christian Ringtones. Personalize Your Cell Phone With Divine Inspiration!

Choose from categories like these:

- Gospel
- Pop
- Praise & Worship
- Acoustic
- And Many Others!
I suppose it could be Christian pop music they are referring to, but I suspect they put the pop category in there because they know I worship at the altar of Kylie, pop star goddess. Kylie's image was part of that pop-star Christmas nativity scene two years ago that the Vatican condemned and that even struck me as blasphemous, so I suppose worshipping Kylie is close to devil worship, but hey, it's commerce, and these days, religion never gets in the way of money. Besides, as William Baker points out in his book, "La, La, La," pop star worship has much in common with religious worship.

One cult I shy away from is the cell phone cult. I see people muttering away on the sidewalk like lunatics all day long. Better to communicate with art gallery spam. Or Kylie spam. I get a little of that too, as the image above attests, but they are offering Kylie ringtones for sale. Ringtones are the devil's work. Maybe I should get an I-Pod? That's the devil's work too, but it's better to sing into the void rather than mutter away like a lunatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment