Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Leninist Right

Hey, Rush, it's not just a party issue! Why do you believe being a Republican is the same thing as being a conservative? Ideology and party loyalty shouldn't be conflated! Equating the two is equivalent to Leninism!
CALLER: Hey, Rush, it's an honor to talk to you. I have to tell you I didn't think last night that I could have been any angrier. I've been working today as we Republicans have been known to do, and so I just now heard that sound bite from Lindsey Graham. My blood is boiling. He just openly acknowledged by saying, "The folks back home are going to be mad at me," that he's completely disregarding the desires of his constituency. I'm just on fire.

RUSH: Well, this happens. You know, there's a little bit of a dilemma, or better said conundrum with elected officials -- I mean in talking about now structure and principle. Yeah, they're supposed to represent the constituents but we also want them to have minds of their own, and not just, you know, mind following robots themselves. But this, the reason why you're mad is that this is a party issue. This is about what we've all been fighting for since the 1960s, or maybe in some cases the fifties: To get to the point here where we've done what we're supposed to do. We've worked hard and we've won elections, and we've won elections by persuading people to agree with us, and we've campaigned on specific things, and said, "This is what we believe in." We've defined ourselves as conservatives and we've won and we've won big, and now we've won the Senate and the House and the White House -- and now all that's being undermined by some of the people who campaigned on various things that resulted in their getting elected.

No comments:

Post a Comment