Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Arrival in Seattle

Well, here I am! I arrived early for the class, for the first time in my life, and I am the only one here so far!

The flight yesterday was nice - some good views, lots of puffy cumulus clouds, but unfortunately the pilot flew directly over most of the Cascadian stratovolcanoes, so only he could see them. Plus the Pacific NW was clouding up (*sigh*) Notable sights:

  • Upper Klamath Reservoir;
  • Just a peek at Mt. Adams (I think - or was it St. Helens?);
  • Qwest Arena.
We arrived shortly before sunset, and the sun was breaking through the multiple cloud layers. Really dramatic views of the harbor and downtown and the rest of the city!

The rental car had 5 miles on the odometer when I picked it up, and an empty gas tank(*grumble*). I spilled a bag of candy, and there is crushed sugar everywhere now. Talked to Page (nee Forment) on the phone and set up a dinner appointment with her and Charles for Wednesday.

This downtown neighborhood is yuppieland. Ate at a really pleasant place called the "icon Grill" (lamb shank with polenta). Notable nearby sights include:
  • Ralph's Grocery Store (just wine, cheese, and bread for us Seattilians please!);
  • a Jazz Club (closed on Monday);
  • plus, the Space Needle, of course!
You tend to notice the little things when you travel. At the airport, there was a public service announcement being broadcast that the "Port of Seattle police and fire departments are here to help you." It had not occurred to me before that the situation might be otherwise! Then I began to wonder whether they were, in fact, here to help me at all. Before I left the airport, I had decided they could well be my enemies. I decided not to do anything that could settle the question.


The Sacramento River (running from right to left) is joined by the Sacramento Slough. Both subsequently join the Feather River (running from left to right in the upper left corner), north of Sacramento Metropolitan Airport, at the hamlet of Verona. The combined flow is not known as the Feather River though, but rather the Sacramento River. An old oxbow of the Sacramento River is visible on the right.


Downtown Seattle.


Qwest Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment