Tuesday, September 07, 2004

State Fair

Made a brief foray on Saturday, Sept. 4th to the CA State Fair. I traveled well-worn paths and didn't even get over to see the animals. I knew the DMTC crowd was going to be there, but I didn't know where, so I hung around the Counties Exhibits and the consumer product vendors, which together bend the fabric of space-time and act like a powerful DMTC tractor beam, and eventually they found me. Everything seemed pretty average - even the skanky posters on the midway seemed pretty tame.

For the last several years, the last Saturday of the Fair has degenerated into a kind of wilding at closing time. This year (and perhaps henceforth), and against NAACP protest (since the last Saturday is Black Culture Day) , the Fair closed early. I was hoping the rioting would merely be advanced earlier into the evening, to make an exciting close to a tedious visit, but nothing happened, and everyone went home safe and calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment