Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Stranger In A Strange Land

Sometimes foreigners make better witnesses:
As a seasoned traveller, Maciej Dakowicz was keen to get a few snaps of local life during his stay in Britain.

His resulting picture album, however, could do with an X certificate. Taken over a series of Friday and Saturday nights on the streets of Cardiff, the Polish student's images provide a shocking insight into alcohol-fuelled debauchery in the Welsh capital.

...'This vibrant nightlife was completely new to me, and that's why I started photograph it,' explains Maciej, originally from Bialystok in North East Poland.

'Everywhere I go i like to take pictures of the people and surroundings. I had never seen such scenes in Poland or any other country I had visited before.

'But what I have seen in my time in the UK has been something completely new to me.'

The images come at a time when Britain's binge drinking culture is under scrutiny.

...'Many people like to pose to photos, but I prefer natural looking images, so I tell them to be natural, and then they often make funny 'natural' poses.

'My favourite picture is probably the guy in this pink hat climbing on the railings, because it is such a surreal scene.

'He saw me with my camera after I took this photo and laughed out loud, he seemed like a nice guy.

'I hope he is not too mad at me now, after this photo became so popular.'

No comments:

Post a Comment