Thursday, August 29, 2024

Update, a Month After The Catheter Ablation

Several days after my catheter ablation I read the After Visit Summary (AVS) on the Sutter website and noted that they had identified that I had "Severe Dilation of the Right Atrium." When you look that up on my favorite medical resource, the Internet, it's associated with "Sudden Cardiac Death." That had me worried, particularly after attending the memorial service for Bethany Hidden a month ago, who passed away just before her 40th birthday (apparently after some sort of cardiac episode). So, would I just face plant some day, without warning? 

The nurse practitioner tried to reassure me. It wasn't just the right atrium; the left atrium was enlarged too. Plus, apparently it's just not that simple. She didn't know why the enlarging was occurring - perhaps some trouble delivering blood to the lung? - but the EKG was now normal, and that should help. So, we'll see how this goes. 

Next week, I meet the cardiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment