Sunday, September 27, 2026

Omen of the Dove

When I returned home after having walked my dog Jasper this morning (Sept. 27th), I found a wild dove writhing on the floor just inside my back door. Before I could react the dove quietly passed away. 

I hadn't seen the dove before and I had a million questions. How long had the dove been hiding inside my house? Where had the dove been hiding out? Did I inadvertently kill the dove when I opened the door, or was the dove already fatally ill? Did the dove try to get help from me for its problems and did I fail to notice? Did Jasper know about any this? Am I going to get West Nile fever now? 

The ancient Greeks and Romans watched birds for omens about the intentions of the gods. Having a bird die just inside my house strikes me as a particularly bad omen.

No comments:

Post a Comment