Wednesday, September 04, 2024

"Jersey Boys" at Music Circus - August 30, 2024


I got a call from Gabe. He had four tickets for "Jersey Boys" at Music Circus. Would I be interested? I scrambled to find takers at such short notice. Despite her busy schedule, Rachel was available, which was great. I wasn't able to get anyone for the other two tickets. though.

I found the opening of the show to be offputting.  Apparently, "Oh, What a Night (December, 1963)" inspired a French rap hit in 2002.  Opening the show with a French song confused me.  The rest of the show was great, though, particularly when the hits started to become more familiar.

David Williams played second keyboard in the show's orchestra.  I saw him at intermission.  Good to see him again.

Here is my favorite song Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons ever sang. (Not surprisingly, it's the last, most-discofied hit they ever sang). This song was also the finale of the show.

   


This show is mostly a guys show, but there was a chorus of three women; one of whom was Sacramento's own Jessica Crouch.  Jessie played Francine in the show.  She has become a recognized player on Broadway.  I was impressed hearing that Jessie won the New York Musical Theatre Festival (NYMF) Next Broadway Sensation contest in 2015.  It's tough to win a contest against Broadway's best singers!

I was in "Carnival" with Jessie in 2002 at DMTC.  She played the lead Lily when she was only fifteen years old.  Actually, I didn't recognize her until the show was over - it's been 22 years, after all.  

Here is Jessica Crouch singing "Last Midnight," from Stephen Sondheim's "Into the Woods."

No comments:

Post a Comment