Saturday, July 29, 2023

"Barbie"

 

I saw “Barbie” last night. I saw it in the same space where I saw “Oppenheimer” last week - just a few seats over. 

Like all movies that rely heavily on analysis, I thought “Barbie” was a little off-putting: in danger of becoming too heavy-handed. In some ways, “Barbie” reminded me of the movie “Godspell,” which is a little more successful in its analysis, because it relies on an existing book whereas “Barbie” has to make up its own almost from scratch. “Barbie” relies more on the theme of restoration than resurrection. 

Still, the movie is fun. I loved the tribute to Stanley Kubrick. I loved the colors. I liked Kate McKinnon’s character. I’m going to start calling my house the Mojo Dojo Casa House. 

I was struck by the politics. Multiracial democracy is in great danger in this country. The Battle of the Kens is great political advice heading into 2024. In contrast, the advice in “Oppenheimer,” regarding the International Control of Atomic Weapons, failed immediately. Good timing in “Barbie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment