Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Behold, Marc!


I went to the optometrist today (May 20).

Back when I was a kid, in the 1960s, there was a big difference in cost between Texas and New Mexico for eyewear (due to differences in licensing and regulation). So, it was often cost effective for Albuquerque families to travel all the way to El Paso for eyewear.







I was flummoxed by my first El Paso eye exam. Was I supposed to wear this big “device” on my face? I thought I was going to get glasses. What happens during recess? My friends will make fun of me. This can’t work! 

Apparently today, my retinas are stable (following surgery in 1994 for retinal detachment), but I seem to be developing a cataract in my left eye. Maybe surgery for that in a few years! 


My visit to El Paso resembled poor 2-D Eck’s visit to a 3-D world:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment