Friday, October 22, 2010

CORE - "The Doorway"

Tonight was the premiere of CORE's "The Doorway", and what a magnificent show it is!

Various dancers roamed the lobby, hallways, and house, before the show. Some were garish, but all behaved in abrupt, inexplicable ways. Perfect for Halloween!









As Artistic Director Kelli Leighton explains in the program regarding her inspiration:
I was inspired by the challenge of utilizing a different movement quality and motivation, as well as the unique architecture and personality of the Victorian houses in Midtown Sacramento. The relationships existing behind closed doors, along with the idea of "if walls could talk", created endless possibilities for me.
You could see Kelli's inspiration made real tonight!

Nevertheless, the jet black of the backdrop and wing curtains created a different sensation for me. I felt something subterranean, then realized that the dance was tapping into a recurring dream I've been having about multiple levels of a sort of rotting purgatory existing below my house (my house isn't Victorian, but it is 102 years old). CORE's show was creeping me out at some deep, subconscious level.

The audience was very enthusiastic. As I overheard one audience member say: "Dope! Really dope! Hella inspired!"

I did not realize until tonight that Christina Day has joined the company. Karen and Mike were there tonight, and it was great seeing them! What a good dancer she is!

Did Blair get married, or does she have an alter-ego? I know her as Blair Kendall, but she is listed in the program as Blair Cacanando. She's great, whatever her fuzzy, doppelganger identity might be.

Go see the show! Buy tickets!

Jake Montoya in The Doorway.



Andrew Hopper in The Doorway.

Loving Victorian-style decorations filled the lobby and hallways.

No comments:

Post a Comment