The cast is solid, with Hayden Williams-Moran as Danny and Emilie Schwarz as Sandy; William Kuykendall as Teen Angel and Miller Traum as Johnny Casino. Maria Tilve is excellent as Rizzo, as is Amelia Robinson-Burmester as Marty. And Rachel Rycerz plays Miss Lynch very well!
After the show, I conversed with Erik Catalan, who directed this show - his first directing job, apparently. Usually Erik is center stage. I asked him if he wanted to be in the show. He didn't answer directly, but I think the answer is yes. It certainly looked like fun. How long have I known Erik? Since 1998?
I was surprised by "Raining on Prom Night," which is typically a solo by Sandy, but here featured four vocalists (Lauren Battaglia, Kaori Catalan, Lela Rose, and Juniper Thompson). Erik explained that the change helped the flow of the show. (Or something like that; maybe it's to give Sandy some rest? I dunno. I wasn't paying close attention, thinking instead how theater has kept Erik young.)
This version of "Grease" includes songs from the movie. The first dance number, "Grease," is done to the Frankie Valli song whose style never fit with the rest of the show, but was a concession to the disco times of 1978, when the movie was released. I liked the fact that the entire company did this dance number, but thought it needs even more precision to have maximum effect. The other dances were fine!

No comments:
Post a Comment