Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Almost Forgot to Mention Recent Earthquakes Under Lake Almanor

On May 11th, I was hustling groceries into the house, when the 5.5 magnitude earthquake struck. I didn't feel the quake exactly - I was moving around too much - but I HEARD it. The door to my bedroom was banging against a bookcase. I knew instantly that an earthquake was occurring. 

It's interesting that aftershocks continue, and just highlight the Earth's shift away from the San Andreas Fault, and towards the faults heading north from the Gulf of California, through Lake Tahoe, and points north:
PRATTVILLE, Calif. — Families are cleaning up the damage after two strong earthquakes near Lake Almanor in less than 12 hours.
The first one of 5.5 magnitude happened around 4:20 Thursday afternoon and a 5.2 aftershock hit early this morning.
Jim Pope was remodeling his basement bathroom when the first one hit. 
"Suddenly, the lights went out and I got thrown against the wall,"

No comments:

Post a Comment