Sunday, August 23, 2020

Loose Dog

One a.m. I had forgotten to turn on the lights on the front porch. My dog Jasper was sitting quietly on the front lawn as I watered plants. All was calm.

Suddenly, Jasper started growling. A man with two large dogs was coming down the street. Since I had let go of his leash in order to water plants, small Jasper was able to jump to the sidewalk and menace the approaching trio with loud barks. Despite the protection of his two large dogs, the man became hysterical. He started screaming at me that Jasper was a threat. The panicked man dropped a sack of belongings on the street as his dogs positioned themselves to defend against Jasper's attack.

I retrieved Jasper's leash and told the man, "Don't worry, you are safe." The man screamed that I was misrepresenting the harrowing situation and that by not having Jasper continually on a leash all along that I was a very inconsiderate man. Very inconsiderate. The worried trio moved away into the darkness.

I let go of Jasper's leash and continued watering.

No comments:

Post a Comment