Sunday, October 21, 2007

"The Music Man" - Woodland Opera House

Left: Cast at bows.

Gina Marchitiello was a wonderful Marian Paroo. Rodger McDonald was great as always as Harold Hill. Nancy Agee was perfect as Mrs. Paroo. Abby Miles was a winning Amarylis, Kendra Evans was cute as Zaneeta Shinn, and Casey Camacho was fine as Tommy Djilas.

Left: Following Friday night's show, twin sisters Paige and Macy Almendariz celebrated their shared birthday with the rest of the cast.


I arrived 15 minutes late for the show (being a long show, it apparently started at 7:30 p.m. rather than the traditional 8 p.m.), so I missed three signature numbers ("Rock Island," "Iowa Stubborn," and "Trouble").

I thought it was a solid, good show. There were a few weak points: Mayor Shinn (Stephen Kaufmann) got so carried away with his various befuddlements that it threatened the pace of the show at several places; the barbershop quartet sounded like it needed more bass; Winthrop (Samuel Stapp) got into trouble musically at one point. But these were minor matters, outweighed by the good points.

Among the strong points, the girl who played Gracie Shinn Giana Andersen) has one of the best stage presences ever: energetic, smiling, happy. The amazing Almendariz sisters were present, with their gymnastic skills, to really give the show a kick. (I blogged once about astonishingly-limber Brittney).

At intermission, I saw several young people in the audience who are also associated with DMTC in Davis. I saw Jabriel upstairs, and he said "Wow! Like, everyone I know is here tonight!" Then I saw Carina, and she said "Wow! Like, everyone I know is here tonight!" Then I saw Rebecca and Kennedy coming up the stairs, and Rebecca said "Wow! Like, everyone I know is here tonight!"

How odd, I thought. The upstairs section was nearly empty, and the downstairs area was full of old people. Are their correct? If so, then they really need to expand their social horizons - meet new people, get to know folks their own age. If not, then the mystery is why they all expressed the same strange thought. After the show, I saw Scott S., but fortunately he expressed a different thought, something like "I know several people here tonight."

I chatted with Chris Taloff (Constable Locke), who mentioned the double bill on Saturday (one of these killer days per run these days at WOH). I tolf Jeff Nauer (Marcellus) how, when he wore his bowler hat, he reminded me of Benny Hill. That tickled him: the first comparison to a celebrity he'd experienced since he shaved his beard.

Left: Anvil salesman Charlie Cowell (Andy Hyun) at bows. Andy's Charlie was both amusing, and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment