Monday, December 09, 2019

Surgery Day - Sutter Medical Center - December 9, 2019


I was born an Innie. Then something happened....

Here is the Before view, as seen from above on Sunday December 8th, of the Incredible Outtie That Ate Tokyo. The skin is thin enough to provide a perfect window into my interior. I bet it was quite sunny in there on many afternoons. Reminds me a bit of the movie "Alien."


Here I am as an Innie again, as seen from the front on the afternoon of Monday December 9th, shortly after Ventral Umbilical Hernia surgery. Whatever it takes to be an Innie again.

Apparently they use a lot of specialized epoxies these days to seal wounds these days. Bandages have drawbacks, like retaining moisture and providing a haven for germs.

After surgery, Rachel came over to visit and keep me company. We sat on the steps in front of my house, which oddly enough, were quite warm and protected from the breeze on a sunny December afternoon. Suddenly I began sweating profusely, and almost fainted. They ask you to show up for surgery quite dehydrated, and given the circumstances after surgery, I was very vulnerable to even the slightest heat. Superman, I ain't. I'm glad I had the foresight to do this surgery in December rather than the doctor's preference, August.


Sutter Medical Center, my home away from home, at 5:30 a.m. on Monday December 9th. Chris and Erlynda were kind enough to accompany me to the hospital.


The second-floor Pedestrian Walkway from the parking garage over 29th St. to the hospital.


Nice lobby at a modern hospital.


Mystery sign.

Giving myself a chlorhexidine bath was interesting. Big wipes, big area to cover, but I tried to do it well given my self-interest. Also interesting was the special antibacterial toothpaste and mouthwash, to limit the possibility of getting pneumonia.

Dr. London, the surgeon, popped by to see how I was doing.


Gathering information.


Things can get tiring.

They wheeled me to the operating room. I assisted my transfer from the gurney to the operating table. I admired the enormous lights above the operating table, even though the lights were still off. They would be awesome to see in all their brightness when they were turned on.

The anesthesiologist (Dr. Melvin) put an oxygen mask on my face. Air flow seemed good. Then an unaccountable amount of time passed by. Didn't even see Dr. London, the surgeon.

Then I was waking up in a recovery ward. Before long it was time to boot me out.


Now comes the hopefully less-dramatic 4 to 6 to 12 week healing process. (Depends on who you ask - Joe the Plumber insists it's a one-year process, after receiving the identical surgery a year ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment