Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Spreading The Word

Knock, knock, knock! Early in the morning, and two evangelists were at the door, one of whom I recognized from previous visits. “I hear you do a lot of theater?” the lead fellow (a Millennial) said. “Yes. Our youth theater just finished doing ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,’” I said.

Even though the fellow explained he had done theater in high school, he had never heard of the show. “It’s a take on a Bible story?” I said. I could tell no bells were ringing in his head. I began to elaborate. He self-deprecatingly replied, “When I hear the word ‘Technicolor’ I think of television. I come from a generation where we watched a lot of television.” (Not as much as in my generation, though, where by the age of 14 I could recite ‘Gilligan’s Island’ rerun dialogue from memory.)

So, I began to evangelize about ‘Joseph,’ and the many good points of community musical theater. I talked on and on, expansively declaiming on any number of subjects. “Don’t ever let businessmen on your theater boards,” I warned, “because they look for profits. There are no profits to be made in community musical theater, so the logical businesslike thing to do is shut down your theaters.”

At the end of their visit, they remembered to refer to their tablet and leave me with a Bible quotation. It was something that I couldn’t quite follow (from Matthew 6??). After greeting Jasper, they bade me farewell. (Were they Jehovah Witnesses? Maybe – can’t recall - but no telltale Watchtower.) Glad to get the Word out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment