Thursday, February 12, 2009

Optomap

Left: I went to the optometrist today, and they said "grab onto the handhold and look into this machine...."

Left: Ooooh, this is cool! It looks like some kind of high-tech mammogram, but in fact it is a picture of my right retina.

In 1994, I had a retinal detachment in the left eye. First, they put a silicone rubber band around my left eyeball, in order to squeeze it more-elongate, so the detached portion of the retina and the back of the eyeball would be brought closer together. (The silicone rubber band is still there, and I can sometimes feel its presence when I first wake up in the morning.) Then they reattached the retina by dabbing liquid nitrogen on the outside of my eyeball in order to freeze-tack the retina back into place.

I remember that day pretty well. They gave me truth serum (sodium pentothal) to put me under. When I woke up, surgery had just finished and everyone in the operating room was laughing their heads off. I asked, "What's so funny?" They replied, "Oh, nothing!" Then they laughed some more....

The right retina looked a little thin and a little weak, so a week later Dr. Salzano grabbed his laser, and in 20 blinding minutes flashed 500 light pulses onto the right retina to weld it more-firmly onto the back of the eyeball.

In this photo, the optometrist noted scarring on the periphery of the right retina, which probably came from the 1994 laser surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment